Come Serve Your Academic Federation
Academic Federation members play critical roles in teaching students, in carrying out research, in delivering health care, in representing the university to external stakeholders, in administering programs and providing other kinds of service. The AF has a key consultative role to both. Administration as well as with the campus more broadly on issues regarding AF members. AF facilitates the participation of its members in shared governance at UC Davis. The AF works collaboratively with the Academic Senate and the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs on issues concerning academic titles, including joint personnel review committees and as representatives to Academic Senate committees.
Academic Federation research scientists (Adjunct Professors, Specialists in Cooperative Extension, Professional Researchers, Project Scientists and Specialists) work side by side with Academic Senate researchers and play critical roles in education, research and public service. They are particularly important in interdisciplinary, translational research and graduate education. CE Specialists are highly effective in disciplinary, international and translational research and education. They have a critical role in engaging the university with communities and in building relationships with business. Academic Coordinators and Academic Administrators engage in administrative responsibilities that are central to the teaching and research missions of the university. Continuing Educators at UC Davis Extension conduct outreach and research and they also teach classes. Librarians teach and construct the information systems and networks that allow faculty and students to discover, access and interpret information; they provide access to resources and promote international and intercultural understanding; they provide a place where students and scholars can learn, socialize and experiment. Health Science Clinical Professors use and incorporate cutting-edge technology in the educational mission of the university and in the treatment of patients. Lecturers deliver a significant amount of undergraduate instruction.
Objectives of Academic Federation:
- Promote visibility and appreciation for the contributions of AF members
- Facilitate the development, peer evaluation and support of AF members
- Advocate for AF members and promote their participation in shared governance
- Serve as a resource for the campus and UC
- Advise administration and Academic Senate on issues that affect AF members
Issues of Concern for Academic Federation:
- Increase awareness of the role of AF in the wider campus community
- Promote cohesion and mentoring among AF members
- Continue participation of the AF in shared governance
- Continue effective peer review (personnel process) and professional development (grants and awards) for AF members
- Impact of increasing enrollment and multinational student body on AF members
- Impact of online learning and alternate methods of learning on AF titles that teach
- Assignment of research and teaching space to AF members and how this will be handled as the University grows
- Establish Academic Federation on other UC campuses
BECOME A VOLUNTEER
Serving on an AF committee provides you the opportunity to help improve working conditions for you and your fellow AF membes. Volunteer to join one of the many committees available.
For additional information contact the Academic Federation Committee on Committees: